A2 Production; SWITCH

Tuesday 28 September 2010

Character Motivation - Sara Fitzgerald



Q: What were the first thoughts running riot in your head when you found out your daughter had leukemia?

A: I didn't think; i felt. a range of emotions pulsating through my body. First shock and terror quickly changing into anger and frustration. i was crushed. My little baby was dying, i mean how the hell am i meant to come to terms with that?

Q: I understand this must be hard for you I'm very sorry for your loss. What were your first plans of action to fight the illness?

A: We consulted doctors and began treatment on Katie in the forms of Chemotherapy but it wasn't enough. One doctor then suggested we generate a designer baby - born to donate to Kate and keep her alive for as long as possible.

Q: As a mother though, did you not think it morally wrong to have another baby for this purpose?

A: Tell me then wise guy what would you have done?

Q: this isn't about me Mrs. Fitzgerald I'm just trying to understand your character better...

A: I know its horrible in the sense Anna didn't have a choice but she kept her sister alive for Christ's sake. For many years longer than any doctor anticipated! So you could sit there and look down on me but until you're in the same situation as me you have NO RIGHT to judge. i couldn't just sit there and let nature run its course i wouldn't have been satisfied if i didn't make it my absolute priority to keep my daughter alive.

Q: In the film your daughters illness put a lot of strain on your marriage - is everything okay now?

A: My husband Brian felt the same as me when we found out about Kate's illness. And like me he was determined to beat the cancer. However, as the years went on and Anna was born and growing up - we both knew Kate was becoming sicker and sicker. Not just the marriage but the family in general suffered a strain. Kate was a breath of fresh air to be around. And to know my baby girl, my innocent baby girl was dying over something way out of nayones control made things a whole lot worse. What with Kate gone now (sobbing) it has brought the family closer as we cherish the time we have left. Although, no kind of pain can compare to that of losing a child. No amount of pain. In answer to your question though yes everything is fine between my husband and i - we just wish this unfortunate occurrence hadn't hit our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment